me: hi, can i have a large—
starbucks employee: you mean a venti?
me: can we not do this
starbucks employee: oh great i’m about to be harassed by some asshole about a company policy i have no control over. again. can we not do this
Thank you for this addition.
I was not aware, until I had a friend who worked at Starbucks, that it was not baristas being a pain in the ass about whether you were part of the Starbucks Club or not, but actual, no-kidding orders over which they could lose their jobs.
If it’s common knowledge, I certainly had not gotten the memo.
I do think it is a shitty load of crap, and it contributes to me not getting Starbucks unless I’ve got a gift card from someone who knows I’m into coffee and is at a loss around Christmas time.
hiiiiii i’m 24 and my mom had me when she was 24 life is fun guys
My son is 19. My mother had me at 19.*
Yes, it is terrifying!
* FWIW, my grandmother cried all the way home from staying a week with my mom after she had me, terrified about how those two young idiots were going to mess up that helpless baby. (In reality, love my grandmother as unreservedly as I did, my mother was an infinitely better parent)
Stand where you are, look around, and list whatever liquidy thing is closest to you. This is now your fanfic lube.
i’m no good at this game.
the answer to this for me is always going to be Diet Coke and I am so mad that that image is now in my head
girls who pretend to act stupid because they think it’s cute need to be slapped in the face with a brick
girls who pretend to act stupid because they think it’s cute need to be taught that their thoughts and opinions matter. so many girls are taught that being smart and capable is threatening to boys and will scare them away. please don’t hit these girls with bricks thanks
Lotta girls act stupid because they get punished for daring to be brighter than the males around them.
I was praised for my brains by my parents, but holy SHIT show you’re smarter than the boys in school and watch the smackdown.
Source For more posts like this, CLICK HERE to follow Ultrafacts
Some of you are reblogging because you think its funny that programmers would talk to ducks. I’m reblogging because I think its funny picturing a programmer explaining their code, realizing what they did when they explain the bad code, then grabbing the strangling the duck while yelling “WHY WAS THE FIX THAT SIMPLE!? AM I GOING BLIND!”
AS A PROGRAMMER I CAN TELL YOU THAT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU FUCKING DO WE HAD TO BAN THE DUCKS FROM MY CLASSES BECAUSE EVERYONE WOULD FLIP THE DUCK OR THROW IT AT A WALL OR SOMETHING WHEN THEY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM IN THEIR CODE
In a way, this makes me feel kind of weird. My father would often talk out (non-classified) parts of technical problems he faced from the time I was in the cradle.
Yes, I did go on to work in IT….
I really need to read/watch the Discworld stuff.
Yes, you do. Mama Hogswatch* says so.
* My LJ name. My legal Roundworld name means Christmas, so…
Dude in this poly group is literally suggesting that having personal boundaries/rules for friends is wrong.
“Of course you are right, we should throw away all our friends who violate our rules, no matter what their excuse is. LOL"
Like seriously. What the shit, dude. I have boundaries and rules in place for a reason. Tackling personal issues is an important thing to do but I’m not about to let someone just walk all over me and make me feel lesser or inferior, or like I do not matter. In ANY circumstance.
Dude is just wrong, and you’re right. Not only that, most poly writers will back you up and say personal boundaries are crucial to decent relationships.
I know everyone is snickering at this. I was sixteen when this commercial came out. I remember seeing it and so desperately wanting it.
That I get to have it IN MY POCKET is a source of joy and wonder to me.I kind of feel sorry for my son. This sort of thing is like a toaster or an electric light to him. It’s all he’s ever known.
Then again, let’s hope something else happens for your generation that’s a source of joy and wonder for you that you’re glad to have. Might be social rather than technological, but that would be cool, too.
(Source: themobilemovement, via kitrona)
It is going to take quite the skilled typesetter and SERIOUS Terry Pratchett fan to see what I did there.
ok do you see this Legendary Epic woman right here? this is wendy fucking carlos and i’m going to describe to you why wendy carlos is 30 thousand times better than you
- she is a 74 year old trans fucking woman. she remembers having dysphoria at age five and started hrt in 1968. you think transitioning is difficult now? try doing it in 1968. the thought scares the shit out of me.
- her first album, switched on bach, is a literal hour of her playing bach’s music on synthesizers. that’s classical edm. edm wouldn’t exist if she hadn’t brought synthesizers to prominence. the catch? synthesizers in 1968 were monophonic. that means you can only play one note at a time. wendy carlos sat there and played each instrument’s piece of bachs music at least 6 times per symphony, painstakingly overdubbing and rerecording each line, one at a time.
- oh yeah, switched on bach was the first classical album to sell more than 500k copies and she won 3 grammies and stayed on the billboard #1 pop charts for 17 weeks.
- you know tron? that really awesome movie whose sequel daft punk made the ost for? wendy is the original daft punk. tron’s soundtrack was all her; not only that, but so was a clockwork orange and the shining.
- in 1998 this piece of shit momus (aka nick currie on wired) made a song mocking wendy’s sexual orientation. $50k of currie’ money later, she forced him to remove that song from his entire collection, have the master destroyed, and his music career fucking died after that.
figured i’d post this since daft punk keep getting a lot of love. i love daft punk, but they owe their lives to this fucking badass.
Wendy Carlos got me into Baroque music. They used to use her rendition of the Brandenburg Concerto #3 in G for the Electric Light Parade in Disney World.
It got me started on my love of Baroque.
This is a collection of Tweets from military veterans reacting to the police response in Ferguson.
And if this shit doesn’t scare you, I don’t know what will.
Welp, keep in mind there was a US study done where soldiers refused to fire on their own people because those people are not othered as an enemy in military training. Quite the opposite.
Police training completely others the non-police population. (I refuse to use the term civilian as an antonym for police. As a very wise man once said, “A policeman IS a civilian, you inbred stream of piss!”)